First, let's take a look and some of the characteristics of each material...
What is Jute?
Jute comes from the stems and skin of the Jute plant (a vegetable fiber), and is then spun into coarse, strong threads.
What are some characteristics of Jute?
Because it is made from a plant, Jute Burlap material has many unique characteristics:
- Jute is a coarse (rough / scratchy) material compared to traditional fabrics like Polyester or Cotton.
- Jute is made from plant fibers, and therefore is prone to shedding tiny fibers ("Burlap lint").
- Jute can have naturally occurring imperfections or blemishes.
- Jute has a distinct earthy scent.
- Jute should NOT be machine washed or dried in a drying machine.
Because Jute has characteristics such as shedding and a scent, it is a good idea to check with the venue(s) beforehand to make sure that they allow it to be used.
Should you find that Jute isn't welcome at your venue, no worries -- read about our Faux Burlap options below to see why they are such great alternatives. Even if the venue does allow real Burlap, after reading further below, you might still be inclined to purchase one of our Faux Burlap options instead!
EQUINOX FAUX BURLAP:
Our newest Faux Burlap fabric line, Equinox Faux Burlap looks just like Jute, but without any of the Jute hassles! That's right -- Equinox doesn't shed, has no Burlap smell, and is machine washable!
- Equinox Faux Burlap is seamless up to 118 inches wide.
- It's much softer compared to real Burlap.
- Made of 100% Polyester and with a beautiful Light Natural (light tan) color!
POLYESTER FAUX BURLAP:
Consider our 100% Polyester Faux Burlap to be the opposite of Jute Burlap. The only similarity is their appearance. It took years to get the look and weight just right, so that the fabric could look just like real tightly woven Burlap, but with several key improvements when compared to Jute:
- Faux Burlap is soft to the touch.
- Faux Burlap is better at resisting wrinkles and stains.
- Faux Burlap doesn't shed (produce lint), or have a scent.
- Faux Burlap is made of Polyester and is machine washable and dyer safe.
If you have any particular questions about either Burlap material, please let us know. And of course, if you would like a free swatch sample of our Burlap materials, contact us and we'll send it right out!